“RIDDLE OF THE DAY: How do you break Newt Gingrich’s nose? (ANSWER: Kick Donald Trump in the a**.)”
was just one in a scathing series of messages the conservative author posted to insult former House Speaker Newt Gingrich for his support of President Trump’s handling of the border wall and government shutdown.
Just last week, after he reopened the government despite no funding progress to build a barrier on the U.S. border with Mexico.
Monday morning on “Fox & Friends,” Gingrich said Trump “should not pay any attention to Ann Coulter.”
“Ann Coulter’s never run for office,” Gingrich said. “She doesn’t know anything about how you put a majority together. She’s off here in some fantasyland where she gets to be noisy, which helps her sell books.
“The fact is, the president’s base is with the president,” he continued. “If he goes to them and says, ‘I got this done for the wall, I got this done to protect America, I’m doing these good things you believe in,’ the base is going to say, ‘fine.‘”
Coulter responded with at least nine tweets bashing both Gingrich and Trump:
Newt Gingrich claims I’m in “fantasyland” for criticizing the president for breaking his central campaign promise. It has now come to my attention that Trump HAS built the full border wall & it’s working BEAUTIFULLY. That is why Trump is sailing to re-election!
— Ann Coulter ()
- “Newt Gingrich claims I’m in ‘fantasyland’ for criticizing the president for breaking his central campaign promise. It has now come to my attention that Trump HAS built the full border wall & it’s working BEAUTIFULLY. That is why Trump is sailing to re-election!”
- “Newt’s right — I’m just selling books. But at least I don’t have to kiss Trump’s a** to do so.”
- “Poor Newt. At least Rudy got a job.”
- “Newt seems to believe that you have to run for office to comment on public affairs. The constitution doesn’t just give free speech to disgraced politicians. It also affords speech rights to another category called ‘citizens.‘”
- “To those who would attack Newt, please remember that just as collusion is not a crime, kissing the emperor’s a** violates no federal law.”
- “The great thing about Newt is, you can always count on him to tell truth to power.”
- “Trump voters have fallen into 2 factions: The Tell the Truth faction and the Kiss the Emperor’s Ass camp. Newt and I have picked different camps.”
- “LITTLE-KNOWN LITERARY FACT: ‘The Emperor’s New Clothes’ had to be edited for space. Lost was the scene where court haberdasher Newt Gingrich said, ‘Sir, you look splendid!‘”
Coulter had been one of Trump’s staunchest defenders, even writing a book titled “In Trump We Trust.” But her support has turned to fierce criticism over the lack of a border wall promised by Trump numerous times during his campaign.
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Sunday, Trump took a jab at Coulter, saying: “I hear she’s become very hostile.”
“Maybe I didn’t return her phone call or something,” the president added.
Coulter’s attacks on Trump and Gingrich are getting mixed reaction on social media, with comments including:
- “Stop it, Ann! That was funny and I’m not even sure what it means if you’re making sense and we are on the same side.”
- “Ann, you’re getting to be as humorless as Kathy Griffin. It’s cold here in Ohio so I’m going to throw another of your once-insightful books on the fire — at least they’ll have value, like you once did.”
- “My God, this is the first time I find Coulter funny. The world is really ending soon, isn’t it?!”
- “Newt? Who made global warming commercials with Nancy Pelosi? NEVER FORGET.”