Tributes have been paid to a 19-year-old who died following a suspected drug overdose after a night out in Liverpool.
Emergency services were called to the Hangar 34 club on Greenland Street in Liverpool’s Baltic Triangle following reports of a woman having been taken ill in the early hours of Sunday.
The teenager, named locally as Halle O’Brien, is believed to have suffered a cardiac arrest and was taken to hospital at around 2.30am. She is said to have taken what Merseyside Police initially believe to be MDMA powder.
Her condition was initially described as critical but she was confirmed dead yesterday afternoon.
Halle’s devastated grandmother Jane Russell paid tribute to her ‘beautiful granddaughter’ on Facebook, as messages of condolence poured in on social media.
In one post, Jane wrote: ‘Dear friends. Please pray for my beautiful granddaughter Halle O’Brien. My heart is broken.’
Halle had earlier posted a moving message showing how much she loved hergrandmother.
It read: “The relationship between a grandmother and her granddaughter is something so uniquely special and something to be
‘Your grandma loves you like you are her own daughter and adores you no matter what.
‘She is the first person you run to when you have a problem with your parents and she never fails to grace you with the most comforting advice.
‘She may be guilty of spoiling you rotten but still makes sure to stress the importance of being thankful and kind.’
Jane wrote: ‘I can’t believe three days after you sent this message that it would be the last. Thank you Halle, it means so much that you knew how much I loved you.’
One of Halle’s housemates, Caitlin Czarnota said: ‘Absolutely devastated to hear this news. Halle O’Brien you were an amazing housemate and an even more amazing person and friend to me…
‘You are going to be so dearly missed by every single person who new you. There will always be a gap in our uni house family. My thoughts go out to Halle’s loved ones. Rest in peace angel.’
Another friend wrote: ‘So many memories I’m so lucky to have shared so many with you, I am absolutely heartbroken, you were the life and soul wherever you went, your laugh was contagious, I’d do anything to hear it again, rest in peace beautiful you will be missed.’
It is believed Halle had taken what was sold as MDMA powder but this is yet to be confirmed.
A man is also being assessed in hospital after possibly taking the same substance, but his condition is said to be stable.
An investigation is now ongoing to ensure that nobody else has suffered serious effects of taking these or other drugs.
Merseyside Police are checking with local hospitals, other local forces, and working closely alongside the club and other city centre premises and partners.
Det Chief Insp Simon Vaughan said: ‘We are urging anyone who took any substances at this location, or anyone who suspects someone they know has done, to attend at their nearest hospital for assessment.
‘Likewise, if you are still in possession of any of the described drugs from last night, please do not take them under any circumstances but let us know and we will recover them for further enquiries to be made.
‘We also want to hear from anyone who was offered any substances at this location, witnessed the young woman falling ill, were offered or bought the drugs described elsewhere.
‘We have launched a full investigation to establish what these drugs were and who supplied them and will act on all
information to find those responsible and bring them to justice.
‘You may be worried about being in trouble for taking illegal drugs, however our immediate priority is to ensure that nobody else is affected. Ensure that family and friends are safe and well and report any concerns to medical services immediately.’
Anyone with information can , call 101 with reference1, or anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Got a story for Metro?
If you have a story for our news team, email us at .
You can also follow us on and .